Joint Replacement in Bucks County
Innovative Surgical Options Including Our Heal@Home Program Performed By Expert Orthopedic Physicians
If pain and loss of function in your hips, knees, or shoulders are impacting your quality of life, you may be a candidate for joint replacement surgery.
Candidates include those who suffer from:
- Osteoarthritis of the hip, knee, or shoulder
- Arthritis worsened by age
- Bone tissue loss (necrosis) in the hip
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Broken (or previously broken) hip
- Shoulder arthritis due to rotator cuff tear(s)
Joint Replacement Options
Our fellowship-trained physicians provide a wide variety of joint replacement services, ranging from non-surgical treatments to complicated replacement surgeries using minimally-invasive, advanced techniques. Our team routinely pursues non-surgical treatments first and utilizes state-of-the-art technologies in order to shorten recovery time, minimize pain, and achieve the best possible long-term outcomes.
Joint replacement surgeries performed at Bucks County Orthopedic Specialists include:
- Minimally invasive total hip and knee replacement
- Quadriceps-sparing total knee replacement
- Partial and total hip replacement
- Rapid recovery total hip and knee replacement
- Partial and total shoulder replacement
Your Surgery Experience
The physicians at Bucks County Orthopedic Specialists conduct a thorough pre-surgery medical clearance process to identify and treat any medical issues, ensuring the surgery will be as safe as possible. This process typically takes one to two months.
Although each individual patient and surgery is different, a total joint replacement typically involves:
- Each surgery takes approximately one hour to complete
- Most patients spend about one to two hours in the recovery room before entering their private hospital room
- To aid the recovery process, physical therapy commonly occurs within hours of surgery completion
- The hospital stay typically ranges from one to two days, depending on the procedure
- Patients are back to light, or moderate, daily activity in two to four weeks following surgery
Heal@Home Program – Same Day Total Joints
Same Day Total Joints
The Heal@Home Total Joint Program is a comprehensive and innovative rapid-recovery program designed to expedite the joint replacement recovery process. Unlike other standard hip or knee replacement approaches, H@H involves the entire surgical experience, utilizing cutting-edge preoperative preparation, personalized pain control, advanced surgical techniques, and intensive, accelerated therapy regimens. Patients are able to recover in the comfort of their own home with the support of a visiting nurse and avoid the inconveniences of hospitalization.
Click below to learn more as Dr. Vikoren discusses the Heal@Home program followed by questions from the audience:
"With advances in techniques for hip and knee replacement, the procedures are now much less invasive than they used to be and pain control has improved tremendously. At this point, it is becoming routine to perform surgery at 7:30 in the morning and have the patient home by early afternoon. This is an excellent option for those seeking to avoid hospitalization, something many people prefer for a variety of reasons. I would encourage motivated patients to discuss with me the feasibility of an outpatient total joint procedure."
The benefits of Heal@Home Total Joint Program
- Muscle-sparing, minimally invasive surgical techniques
- Allows people to avoid hospitalization if they desire
- Offers a potentially lower cost option to patients with high deductibles
- Walking occurs within one hour after surgery including stairs, in most cases, the same day of surgery
- Faster mobility enhances blood flow, which can be beneficial to health and safety
Who is Eligible for H@H?
The H@H Total Joint program is offered to highly motivated patients seeking a fast recovery from joint H@H's unique approach tailors the recovery experience to each individual's goals to help them quickly return to the activities they enjoy most.
H@H program patients receive pre-surgery physical therapy to prepare for the post-surgery recovery process.
H@H Prehab, Surgery & Post-Operative Care
- H@H patients receive pre-surgery physical therapy where they are instructed on exercises, skills, and techniques to assist in accelerating the post-surgery recovery process.
- H@H procedures are performed early in the day with the most state-of-the-art, minimally invasive surgical techniques and pain control programs.
- H@H patients receive an accelerated physical therapy program and are typically able to walk hours after the surgery is completed.
- Most patients are ready for discharge later in the afternoon with either home physical therapy or proceeding directly to outpatient therapy.
Advances in Shoulder Replacements
Shoulder Replacements are the fastest growing segment of the joint arthroplasty world. They are a proven technique with long-term great results, over 80% success rate at 15 years post-surgery. Dr. Kieran Cody is a high-volume shoulder arthroplasty surgeon who performs nearly 100 replacement procedures annually, with the number continuing to grow each year. Patients with moderate to severe pain and limitations in their activities of daily living or sleep can see improvements that can change their lives.
Which one is right for you?
- The anatomic replacement is best for your patients who have osteo or rheumatoid arthritis and an intact rotator cuff.
- The reverse shoulder replacement is designed for patients who have a massive rotator cuff tear arthropathy or a proximal humerus fracture, and is also useful for patients with severe glenoid deformities.
Your Surgery Experience
Patients typically spend one night at the hospital or healthy motivated patients can be discharged the same day. Most patients take minimal pain medication and routinely say their pain is better than it was before surgery within a few days. A sling is worn for 2-4 weeks and physical therapy helps patients regain their active lifestyle. Patient satisfaction with shoulder replacement is extremely high.
Call us today at (215) 600-4714 or request an appointment online to learn if joint replacement is the right solution for you.
Additional Information & Resources
- What Can I Expect from a Joint Replacement? - By Dr. Charles Burrows and Dr. Thomas Vikoren
- Platelet Rich Plasma Works to Heal Tendonitis: New Non-Surgical Treatment Horizons (Huffington Post)
- Joint Replacement Surgery: Health Information Basics for You and Your Family (National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases)
- Total Joint Replacement (American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons)
- Joint Surgery (American College of Rheumatology)
Read more on the latest developments in joint replacement HERE.