JOINT REPLACEMENT IN BUCKS COUNTY
Innovative Surgical Options Including Our Heal@Home Program Performed By Expert Orthopedic Physicians
If pain and loss of function in your hips, knees, or shoulders are impacting your quality of life, you may be a candidate for joint replacement surgery.
Candidates include those who suffer from:
- Osteoarthritis of the hip, knee, or shoulder
- Arthritis worsened by age
- Bone tissue loss (necrosis) in the hip
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Broken (or previously broken) hip
- Shoulder arthritis due to rotator cuff tear(s)
Joint Replacement Options
Our fellowship-trained physicians provide a wide variety of joint replacement services, ranging from non-surgical treatments to complicated replacement surgeries using minimally-invasive, advanced techniques. Our team routinely pursues non-surgical treatments first and utilizes state-of-the-art technologies in order to shorten recovery time, minimize pain, and achieve the best possible long-term outcomes.
Joint replacement surgeries performed at Bucks County Orthopedic Specialists include:
- Minimally invasive total hip and knee replacement
- Quadriceps-sparing total knee replacement
- Partial and total hip replacement
- Rapid recovery total hip and knee replacement
- Partial and total shoulder replacement
Your Surgery Experience
The physicians at Bucks County Orthopedic Specialists conduct a thorough pre-surgery medical clearance process to identify and treat any medical issues, ensuring the surgery will be as safe as possible. This process typically takes one to two months.
Although each individual patient and surgery is different, a total joint replacement typically involves:
- Each surgery takes approximately one hour to complete
- Most patients spend about one to two hours in the recovery room before entering their private hospital room
- To aid the recovery process, physical therapy commonly occurs within hours of surgery completion
- The hospital stay typically ranges from one to two days, depending on the procedure
- Patients are back to light, or moderate, daily activity in two to four weeks following surgery
Heal@Home Program – Same Day Total Joints
Same Day Total Joints
Advances in Shoulder Replacements
Shoulder Replacements are the fastest growing segment of the joint arthroplasty world. They are a proven technique with long-term great results, over 80% success rate at 15 years post-surgery. Dr. Kieran Cody is a high-volume shoulder arthroplasty surgeon who performs nearly 100 replacement procedures annually, with the number continuing to grow each year. Patients with moderate to severe pain and limitations in their activities of daily living or sleep can see improvements that can change their lives.
Which one is right for you?
- The anatomic replacement is best for your patients who have osteo or rheumatoid arthritis and an intact rotator cuff.
- The reverse shoulder replacement is designed for patients who have a massive rotator cuff tear arthropathy or a proximal humerus fracture, and is also useful for patients with severe glenoid deformities.
Your Surgery Experience
Patients typically spend one night at the hospital or healthy motivated patients can be discharged the same day. Most patients take minimal pain medication and routinely say their pain is better than it was before surgery within a few days. A sling is worn for 2-4 weeks and physical therapy helps patients regain their active lifestyle. Patient satisfaction with shoulder replacement is extremely high.
Call us today at (215) 348-7000 or request an appointment online to learn if joint replacement is the right solution for you.
Additional Information & Resources
- Joint Replacement Surgery: Health Information Basics for You and Your Family (National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases)
- Total Joint Replacement (American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons)
- Joint Surgery (American College of Rheumatology)
Read more on the latest developments in joint replacement HERE.