If pain and loss of function in your hips, knees, or shoulders is impacting your quality of life, you may be a candidate for joint replacement surgery. Candidates include those who suffer from:
• Osteoarthritis of the hip, knee, or shoulder
• Arthritis worsened by age
• Bone tissue loss (necrosis) in the hip
• Rheumatoid arthritis
• Broken (or previously broken) hip
• Shoulder arthritis due to rotator cuff tear(s)
Joint Replacement Options at Bucks County Orthopedic Specialists
Our fellowship-trained physicians provide a range of joint replacement techniques from non-surgical treatments to complex reconstructive surgeries using advanced, minimally-invasive techniques. Our team routinely pursues non-surgical treatments first and utilizes cutting-edge technologies in order to minimize pain, shorten recovery time, and achieve the best possible long-term outcomes.
Joint replacement surgeries conducted at Bucks County Orthopedic Specialists include:
• Minimally invasive total hip and knee replacement
• Quadriceps-sparing total knee replacement
• Partial and total hip replacement
• Rapid recovery total hip and knee replacement
• Partial and total shoulder replacement
Your Surgery Experience
The physicians at Bucks County Orthopedic Specialists conduct a thorough, pre-surgery medical clearance process to identify and treat any medical issues, ensuring the surgery will be as safe as possible. This process typically takes 1 to 2 months. Although each individual patient and surgery is different, typically:
• Each surgery takes approximately 1 hour to complete
• Most patients spend about 1 to 2 hours in the recovery room before entering their private hospital room
• To aid the recovery process, physical therapy commonly occurs within hours of surgery completion
• Hospital stay typically ranges from 1 to 2 days, depending on the procedure
• Typically, patients are back to light or moderate daily activity in 2 to 4 weeks following surgery
The Doylestown Accelerated Surgical Healing (DASH) Program
The Doylestown Accelerated Surgical Healing Program, or DASH, is a comprehensive and innovative rapid recovery program designed to expedite the joint replacement recovery process. Unlike other standard hip replacement approaches, DASH involves the entire surgery experience, utilizing state-of-the-art preoperative preparation, advanced surgical techniques, personalized pain control, and intensive, accelerated therapy regimens.
Who is Eligible for DASH?
The DASH program is offered to highly motivated patients seeking a fast recovery from joint replacement. DASH's unique approach tailors the recovery experience to each individual's goals to help him or her quickly return to the activities they enjoy most.
DASH program patients receive pre-surgery physical therapy to prepare for the post-surgery recovery process.
DASH Prehab, Surgery and Post-Operative Care:
– DASH patients receive pre-surgery physical therapy where they are instructed on exercises, skills and techniques to assist in accelerating the post-surgery recovery process.
– DASH procedures are performed early in the day with the most state-of-the-art, minimally invasive surgical techniques and pain control programs.
– DASH patients receive an accelerated physical therapy program and are typically able to walk hours after the surgery is completed.
– Most patients are ready for discharge on the first day after surgery with either home physical therapy or proceeding directly to outpatient therapy.
Additional Information and Resources
• Watch Dr. Thomas Vikoren of Bucks County Orthopedic Specialists Perform a Total Hip Replacement
• What Can I Expect from a Joint Replacement? An article by Dr. Charles Burrows and Dr. Thomas Vikoren
• DASH Program Gets Patients Moving Faster After Surgery An article from one of Dr. Vikoren's patients who had a DASH total hip replacement.